For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A CHRISTMAS GIFT GUIDE FOR ANGLERS
BY JOHN BERRY
Christmas is just around the corner and many anglers and spouses and friends of anglers are all thinking about what gift to give their favorite angler for Christmas. If they are like me, they already have all of the cutesy fishing stuff that they will need for this and another lifetime. What I want to give and receive are quality items. I must admit that after the last few days a good snow shovel might be a good idea.
Every angler needs a new fly rod. Okay, maybe not all of us. For those of us that do need a rod, consider an Orvis Helios 2. These rods are the result of advanced rod technology and have won a bunch of awards. They cast like a dream and at a cost of $799.95 they should. Temple Fork Outfitters has a rod, the BVK, which casts just as well and at $225.00 is a bit more affordable.
 I do not know of a single angler that doesn’t need or want more flies. The best flies to give are those that you tie yourself. This year I asked my brother, Dan, to tie me some of his oh-so- effective turkey tail emergers in size 22. I have learned to tie them in size 18 but the 22s are a bit small for me. I am currently tying up a box of flies for my brother-in-law, Larry. Last year I was pressed for time and got him a nice fly box but was unable to fill it. I think he was a bit disappointed. If you don’t tie yourself go to a fly shop and buy a fly box and fill it up. Buy flies that you use yourself. You can follow a theme like flies for the Norfork River.
 If you want to give something special consider giving a collector’s specimen from a master tyer. You can go to Dave Whitlock’s website, davewhitlock.com, and order one of his many innovative patterns tied by the master tyer. My hands-down favorite is the Dave’s Hopper which I still carry with me every time I am on stream. While you are there, take a look at all of the books that he has written or illustrated about fly fishing. No one signs a book like Dave. It is a work of art in itself.
 Speaking of art, how about an original painting? Local artist and fishing guide, Duane Hada, is a great artist that specializes in sporting art. He not only paints landscapes and fish but also includes birds and deer as his subjects. Go to his art gallery, River Town Gallery, to check out his work. You should also consider the work of my friend, Sandy Barksdale. She is the up and coming local artist and her stuff is gorgeous. By the way her husband and my old fishing buddy, Bill Barksdale, does some fine art fishing photos that are incredible.
 The cold weather we are experiencing makes me think about warm clothing. One garment that has kept me warm for the last few days has been my Irish fisherman’s sweater from L. L. Bean. It is like wearing a blanket. I have coupled it with a pair of their fleece-lined blue jeans to create my winter uniform. It is great for fishing from the boat especially when paired with a good wind shell. 
I hope these suggestions help you achieve a very Merry Christmas!

John Berry is a fly fishing guide in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local waters for over thirty years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment