For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Friday, April 25, 2014

PAT SMITH TO BE INDUCTED INTO TROUT HALL OF FAME BY JOHN BERRY



Once again the Trout Nature Center at Arkansas State University Mountain Home is having its Trout Nature Center Banquet to honor its induction of Pat Smith into the Trout Hall Of Fame. Past inductees include Dave Whitlock, Jim Gaston, Bob Benke, Joan Whitlock, Forrest Wood, Elmo Hurst, Tom Schmuecker and Steve Wilson.  
The Trout Nature Center banquet will be held on Saturday, April 26, 2014 at the Sheid Auditorium on the Arkansas State University Campus. The cost is $50.00 per person and the proceeds go to fund the Trout Nature Center. The social hour begins at 6:00 PM and the dinner and auction is at 7:00 PM. Entertainment is provided by Cutthroat Trout. Contact (870) 508-6280 for more information. 
Pat and her husband, Chet, were the first people I met when I moved to the Twin Lakes Area about fourteen years ago. We had mutual friends, Roger and Tracy Maler. All of them were active volunteers in the Southern Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers, the organization that hosts the Conclave, which is now known as the Fly Fishing Fair. I was in the process of growing my guide business and was eager in getting involved with Conclave. 
At the time, Roger was President of the Southern Council and he directed me to Pat Smith who was then the Managing Director. She was a force of nature and had every detail and individual involved committed to memory. Pat made everything come together and work as it should. The festival ran like a Swiss clock. I was quickly signed up to be a fly tyer, seminar presenter and vendor. She directed me throughout the process and made it easy for me. I came to rely on her. My nickname for Pat is “The Source of all Knowledge”. 
As I got more involved with other local fishing and conservation organizations, I found one common theme; Pat Smith was involved in almost all of them. When I first joined the North Arkansas Fly Fishers, she was the Newsletter Editor; she became the Membership Director and is now the Secretary. When I became involved with the Sowbug Roundup, Pat was there and is now Co-Chair of the Fly Tying Committee. When I began attending the Trout Nature Center Banquets, I noticed that Pat was a member of the Trout Task Force and was Chair of all of the Hall of Fame Banquets. When my wife, Lori, got involved with the Damsel Fly Fishers, a local ladies fly fishing group, she noted that Pat was one of the founding members and also served as the Outreach Chair at the Southern Council Conclave. Pat has also been the Secretary of the Friends of the Norfork National Fish Hatchery since the groups founding. She even finds time to volunteer at the Purple Door for Serenity. 
Pat has won several awards from the Federation of Fly Fishers. She was the Southern Council Woman of the year in 1997, 1999 and 2008. She won the National Woman of the Year for 2005. In 1999 it was the Southern Council Excellence Award and the President’s Award in 2008. Pat is definitely an over achiever. 
Pat is not the President or Founder of any organization. She is always the person that makes it work. I look forward to attending this year’s banquet and I am particularly pleased that my friend, Pat, is being honored. I hope to see you there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment