For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

BARRY AND BRIAN’S DAY ON THE WHITE RIVER BY DENNIS SCHULE



On July 8th I received a call from Barry Hart from Missouri who was looking for a fly fishing guide for a half day guide trip the next.  I told Barry that I was available and would pick them up at Gaston's where he and his friend Brian, from Virginia,  were staying.

Barry and Brian were at Gaston's for a conference and said they had a half day available and wanted to spend it fly fishing on the White River.  I picked them up at 7:30 the next morning and we headed down river to the Rim Shoals area.  The generation was running at minimum flow of 672cfs so I figured we would still have adequate water down river.  Upon arrival at Rim Shoals we found the water in perfect condition.  We launched the boat and headed up river to the Jenkins Creek area.  I had their rods rigged with a two fly rig consisting of two nymphs.  I maneuvered the boat into position and we started our first drift.  The first drift favored Barry and he caught two fish and jumped out into the lead over Brian.  

We worked the Jenkins Creek area for a while and caught numerous fish including several double hook up's.   I then decided to head down river below the island  and try a new area.  We managed to get several fish but the catching was much better up river.  I noticed that the water was really falling out fast so I decided to head back up river to the Jenkins Creek area.

Once back at Jenkins Creek we began catching fish again.  Barry and Brian caught numerous fish, approximately 25-30 fish.  Unfortunately the big fish did not cooperate and the brown trout kept their heads down.  
Overall it was a great morning of fly fishing.  Perfect weather, two avid fly fishermen who are really good guys, and the fish decided to cooperate.  Thanks Barry and Brian for selecting Blue Ribbon Guides and for spending the morning fishing with me.          

No comments:

Post a Comment