For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

FALL IS IN THE AIR BY JOHN BERRY



It is mid-September and this week I realized that fall is in the air. Early the other morning I was preparing for a guide trip that day. I turned on the Weather Channel and learned that it was then fifty degrees and the high temperature that day was to be sixty six degrees. I made a few last minute changes to the clothes I was to wear that day. 
I switched from the lightweight wading shoes for a pair of L. L. Bean gumshoes and a pair of heavy wool socks. The lightweight wading shoes dry fast but were not waterproof. That is not important, when the temperature is in the nineties, but can be critical, when it is in the fifties. These have become my standard cool weather footwear for fishing from the boat in cool temperatures. I have a pair of eight inch high L. L. Bean insulated waterproof Maine hunting boots, for when the weather turns really cold. 
I also grabbed a lightweight down sweater, which is the most warmth for the least weight of any garment that I own. This is a new layer. I bought it from Patagonia this spring. It proved to be so comfortable and warm that I bought a similar one for my wife, Lori, and she loves it. 
On that day, I was to guide two ladies that had never fly fished before. Sandra is a senior bank officer and Susan is a retired executive from IBM. I figured that they would not have the proper clothing to handle the change in the weather, so I gathered up a few extra layers to carry with me. It turned out to be a good idea because Sandra was a layer short and both used a pair of the wool fingerless gloves that I carry in my wader bag. They also bought hats at rim Shoals Trout Dock, when they were purchasing their fishing licenses and trout stamps. We were quite comfortable all day and only removed the extra layer and gloves when it warmed a bit around 2:00 PM
This is my absolutely my favorite season of the year. It signals the end of the long hot summer. While wade fishing can usually be comfortable, fishing from the boat in hot weather can be tough. On a hot sunny day, there is nowhere to hide from the heat, when fishing from a boat. I have seen at least one angler who had rigged up a huge patio umbrella on his boat to escape the sun. It looked cool and helped him finish the day but was totally impractical for fly fishing. In the summer, you can remove just so much clothing before you are arrested. The arrival of fall changes all of that. The cooler temperatures make it much more comfortable to be outside. If it gets a little cool, all you have to do is to add another layer. 
I love the clothing of fall. We are talking about wool or fleece sweaters, jackets and pants. For the past few years I had switched to fleece garments because they are warm and easy care. Lately, I have been adding more wool garments to my fall wardrobe. With the popularity of merino wool, we have clothing that is warm when wet and can be washed in the home. The real wardrobe change that I look forward to is the addition of my felt cowboy hat. I have been fishing in this hat for over thirty years. It just looks and feels right. In addition, I like the look of fall. The leaves are turning and the grass is going dormant. It is our most beautiful season. 
Fall is here and it is time to get out there and enjoy the weather. I hope to see you out there! 
John Berry is a fly fishing guide in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment