For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Thursday, May 7, 2015

FLYFISHERS WEAR THEIR TACKLE BOX BY JOHN BERRY



The most iconic piece of gear for fly fishers is the fly fishing vest. Wearing one on stream immediately identifies you as a fly fisher. Since many of us prefer to wade, this piece of equipment allows us to easily and comfortably carry tackle on the water. It’s simple construction and numerous pockets makes it convenient to access any piece of gear that is needed. For me, my vest is a security blanket and I carry it with me every time I fish. Even when I am fishing in a boat, I hang it on the back of my seat. I know that if I find myself in a difficult situation, there is something, in that vest, that will help me.
 
The fly fishing vest, as we know it, is attributed to the immortal Lee Wulff. In addition to being the first fly fishing television personality, an important fly fishing author, and early advocate of catch and release, Lee was a recognized innovator in our sport. In addition to the fly fishing vest, he also developed the Wulff series of flies, the CFO fly reel (an Orvis standard for decades) and the triangle taper fly line. He was also a consummate showman. I once watched him tie a royal Wulff fly (a complicated pattern that is challenging to tie) using no tools, except for a pair of scissors. He held the hook in his fingers and kept tension on the thread by placing it in his mouth.

There have been many innovations in fly fishing vests since Lee’s early design. We now have lighter weight quick drying fabric, light weight more reliable zippers, Velcro and Fastex buckles. These changes have made the vest lighter and more user friendly. One simple change that has been the most beneficial to fly fishers is to make them shorter. A shorter vest allows you to wade deeper without allowing the contents of your lower pockets to get wet. When I am selecting a vest I always want it to be a size or two larger than I need. This allows me to add several layers of clothing in cold weather and still easily get into my vest. You cannot buy a fly fishing vest that is too big or too short.

 I still have my first vest. It was a short olive colored heavy cotton vest from L. L. Bean. Back then we put patches on them. We wanted to display what fly fishing club, fly casting group or conservation organization we were a part of. We also wanted other anglers to know what brand of rod we were fishing. My old vest got too small for me but, due to a recent weight loss, I am able to fish in it again. I am glad that I kept it in my closet for twenty years.

There are many anglers that just don’t like to wear a vest. They consider them to be too heavy or too confining. One such angler is my wife, Lori. She prefers a small chest pack and she packs it light. She has one specialized for trout and another for smallmouth bass. They are different colors, so she can quickly recognize the one she needs as she exits the house for a fishing trip. I used one for a few years but decided that it just did not carry enough gear for my needs. As a guide I have to carry more flies and tackle than the regular angler.

Other anglers prefer a waist pack. This seems to be especially popular with my fellow guides. My partner, Dennis Schule uses one on a regular basis. You can carry a bunch of gear and still have unrestricted movement. I have one that I use for salt water fly fishing. It is much cooler in the tropics, without a vest.

A recent innovation is the sling pack. It is worn on the anglers shoulder and is easily pushed behind you when fishing. This is an updated version of the traditional British fishing bags made for decades by companies like Barbour or Hardy. The new packs take advantage of new lighter materials and are more aerodynamic and closer fitting making them comfortable and convenient to carry.

If you are in the market for a new wearable tackle box, go to your local fly shop and check them all out. Choose the one that you find the most comfortable.

John Berry is a fly fishing guide in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment