For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

PRESTON’S TRIP BY JOHN BERRY



My most regular client is Richard. We have fished together for around fourteen years. He brings in corporate groups from Texas about ten times per year. For the past couple of years, he and I have discussed the idea of taking his grandson, Preston on Dry Run Creek and introducing him to fly fishing for trout. 
The trip became a reality last week, when Richard, his wife, Jan, and Preston loaded up and headed here. He did not let a hospital stay the week before that included the installation of a stint interfere with the trip. The plan was to spend an afternoon on Dry Run Creek and a day floating the White River. 
I met them at noon and we stopped at Heidi’s Ugly Cakes for lunch and then drove straight to Dry Run Creek. There was rain threatening and I made sure that everyone had rain gear before we left. I quickly rigged up a fly rod and Preston began fishing with Richard and Jan watching. The first fish he hooked was a twelve pound monster rainbow. Richard’s eyes almost popped out of his head. Preston immediately lost the fish. I do not want my clients to hook something like that so early in the trip. I much prefer that they hook and land several smaller trout before they take on something like that. Even then, a fish like that would be a challenge for any angler. 
It began raining really hard. I thought that I was back in Viet Nam, during the monsoon. Preston didn’t mind. He and I were both wearing waders and rain jackets and it didn’t affect us much. Richard and Jan were getting soaked despite their rain jackets. They decided to head back to River Ridge Inn to dry out a bit. Preston and I continued fishing. His skills improved as the day wore on. He landed nineteen with the largest being around twenty one inches long. He hooked three other trophy trout but was unable to land them. I was a bit disappointed as was Preston, because we both wanted to land a trophy. 
The next day we began early and drove over to Rim Shoals. I launched my boat and we began drifting. The conditions were near perfect with about the equivalent of one full generator and light winds. It was warm and sunny. Preston took the lead early and by lunch he had a two fish lead on his grandfather. I must say that his angling skills had improved. Richard is an accomplished angler and is seldom out fished by anyone.
Around three o’clock Richard had thirty and Preston had twenty eight. Richard suggested that, since they had caught plenty of fish at Rim Shoals, they should return to Dry Run creek to give Preston another chance to land a trophy. Preston and I agreed. I thought that his skills had improved and he was ready to hook and land a trophy. 
We arrived at Dry Run Creek and had it to ourselves. It was hot and sunny in the parking lot. Down on the creek it was cool and shady. Preston was up to the challenge. On his second hook up, he caught a really stout twenty four inch rainbow. We were all elated that he had landed a trophy. It had been worth the trip to take another try at a big fish. We continued fishing for a while but landed several quality fish. We even fished for Ole Henry. 
Sometimes it pays, to not give up but, to try again. 
John Berry is a fly fishing guide in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment