For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

FLY FISHING OLD SCHOOL ON DRY RUN CREEK BY JOHN BERRY



I guide quite a bit on Dry Run Creek and know it well. I generally take children under sixteen but last week I had an adult client with mobility issues. The first thing that I asked Jerry was whether or not he had an Arkansas disabled fishing license, which is required for an adult to fish there. He assured me that he did. I had not guided an adult on Dry Run Creek in several years. The last time was when I was guiding a group of disabled veterans for Project Wounded Warrior. We got permission from the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission to take them there.


Jerry arrived at 9:00 AM and I was waiting for him. I already had my waders on and I was ready to catch some trout. He was able to make his way to the wheelchair casting platform on the board walk, with the aid of a walker, which had a seat built in for him to sit on while he fished.

He handed me his rod tube and I was surprised to see that it contained a fine vintage bamboo fly rod. I usually think of bamboo rods for fishing dainty dry flies on small mountain streams but this one was an eight foot six weight. He then handed me a fine Bogdan fly reel. I knew that they were rare and valuable but didn’t know how valuable until I found one like his on eBay for $2,500.00. The reel contained a braided silk line also rare and valuable. The whole rig was very old school and was a fine representation of the best of nineteenth century technology. I strung the rod and put on a fresh leader, tippet, fly and strike indicator.

In addition to having the finest and rarest fishing equipment that I had ever encountered, Jerry was one of the best anglers that I have guided in some time. He was able to cast, mend, set the hook and fight big fish from a seated position. This is not an easy thing to do. He caught a nice twenty three inch male brown on the second cast. I started off standing next to him on the platform and scrambled down to the creek to net and release the trout. It quickly became apparent that he was going to catch a lot of fish and I was going to wear myself climbing in and out of the river. So I just stayed down on the creek and netted and released trout after trout.

 
A little after noon we stopped for lunch. We found a nice picnic table in the shade with a view of the creek. While we were there, Jerry commented that he needed a rod with more back bone for the large fish that we were catching. He broke down the rod he was fishing and pulled another rod out of his car. It was a fine eight foot seven weight vintage bamboo and he put another Bogdan fly reel with another braided silk line on it. I was impressed that he had not one but two incredible old school fishing rigs. 

We returned to the creek and finished the day. We hooked a lot of quality fish mostly browns. The biggest we landed was an incredibly fat twenty five inch male brown that was spectacularly colored. We hooked some larger trout, up to thirty inches long but were unable to land them. Jerry kept count and he hooked sixty five trout and landed thirty one. Considering how large they were that was a pretty good percentage. I believe there were over a dozen trout that were twenty four inches or better.
 Jerry was able to have a great day fishing old school, despite dealing with mobility issues. 

John Berry is a fly fishing guide for Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment