For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

A NICE RAINY MORNING BY JOHN BERRY

Since I took my job as the manager of Blue Ribbon Fly Shop, I have not been able to fish on my own. I have maintained my guiding schedule, so I get plenty of time on the river, but I have been too busy to fish myself. I really wanted a few hours on stream to get it all out of my system. I asked my assistant manager, Henry Seay, to cover for me last Thursday morning. He graciously agreed to do so.

I set my alarm for four o’clock. I rose quickly and hit the shower. When I was getting dressed, I peered outside and noted that it was raining. My crazy cat, Winston looked outside and decided to spend the day indoors. He may not be so crazy after all. Fortified with several cups of coffee and a light breakfast I left the house at 5:30 AM.

I drove into the parking lot at the Ackerman Access on the Norfork River at six and it was raining steadily. The rain didn’t bother me. My theory is that nothing thins the herd like a little rain. I was looking for a bit of solitude and was pleased to note that I was the first one there. The water was on the bottom and it was very dark. I didn’t have enough light to rig a fly rod, so I grabbed one, of my client rods that was still rigged from the previous day’s guide trip, on the White River.

I walked up into the Catch and Release section to one of my favorite spot. I caught my first fish on my first cast and my second one two casts later. It was nonstop action for about thirty minutes. I decided to move on to another spot. It was beginning to lighten up and I now could see well enough to rerig. I put on a cerise worm and a small tan scud. I walked out to some deeper water and began fishing. I was quickly rewarded with a fat and sassy sixteen inch rainbow. I began fishing the run and caught some really nice fish. About 7:30 AM I looked downstream and saw an angler walking up into the Catch and Release section.

It was time to move on. I walked further upstream and found another great spot to fish. The rain had picked up its tempo and it was beginning to soak through my hat. It was about sixty five degrees and it didn’t bother me. I began fishing the run and landed a fat twenty one inch brown that fought like a wild Comanche. I caught several really nice tout including a fifteen inch cutthroat.

By now, it was about eight thirty and time to go. I began fishing my way out. I stopped to talk to an angler that I had taught to fish a few years before. Judging by the success that I saw him having I think I succeeded in my task. I always enjoy running into my previous clients to see how they are doing. I caught several trout on my walk out and reached my car at nine. I had landed well over thirty trout in three hours.

I got in my Suburban and was in the shop at 9:30 AM. I had a day’s worth of fishing and was only an hour and a half late. I thanked Henry and decided that I would have to do that again.

John Berry is a fly fishing guide for Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment