For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

2015 A YEAR IN REVIEW BY JOHN BERRY



For me 2015 has been a mixed bag. Part of it was good and part of it was not so good.

The year began well enough. He fishing in the late winter and early spring was pretty good. I was busy guiding and my clients did well. Somehow I managed to totally miss the caddis hatch. To begin with, I don’t think that it was as prolific or as heavy as it has been in previous years. In addition, I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time. My clients and I did well on the nymphal stage particularly with prince nymphs and the emergence with my green butt soft hackles. We just never caught any really good dry fly action on that insect.

In March we had the best Sowbug Roundup ever. His year we made a fundamental change to the fly tiers dinner. We made it much more casual and added music. Rather than have a sit down dinner we served heavy appetizers with wine beer and soft drinks and enlarged the auction. The changes were well received and we had record attendance.

The next month tragedy struck. My ninety four year old father had a stroke from which he never recovered. Dad was a world war II veteran and a force of nature. At ninety four he walked three miles a day, did yoga and his hobby was ball room dancing. He drove at night and had an active social life. He was always immaculately groomed, was well spoken and had courtly manners. He was the guy that first took me fishing.

A week later it got worse. My brother, Dan, passed away. He was the one who got me involved in fly fishing. He was my fishing buddy, my business partner and my best friend. We traveled all over the United States to fish. We hiked a portion of the Appalachian Trail to fish for small brookies, flew to Utah for big browns and Yellowstone for cutthroats. He was the best fly tyer and fly caster I ever met. I miss them both.

Midsummer was much better for me. We had low water for most of it on the Norfork and I finally got into some great dry fly action. This year’s sulphur hatch was quite late. I didn’t see them until late June. It was not prolific but it was reliable and the trout really keyed in on them. I caught it on several occasions and it provided me with some of the best dry fly fishing that I have had for several years. I managed to take a fat nineteen inch rainbow on the top and I was able to introduce several novice clients to dry fly fishing.

The rest of the year has been plagued with high water. We had a brief respite for a few weeks that provided for some spectacular fishing then we got a seven inch rain, which sent the lake levels up. We have just about gotten them back down and as I write this we have several days of rain in the forecast. Hopefully it will be light.

Finally it has been a great year for Tilley, our fishing dog. She is an English Labrador Retriever. My wife, Lori has been training and showing her all year. He has six obedience titles and is two thirds of the way to her seventh. We expect her to earn that at a dog show two weeks from now. She is also about half way to her championship in conformation. We hope she completes that next year.

Like I say it’s been a mixed bag. Maybe next year will feature lower water and great hatches!

John Berry is a fly fishing guide for Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.


No comments:

Post a Comment