For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

HENRY'S WALKING AND WADING FLY FISHING REPORT BY HENRY SEAY



Friday I went to Rim Shoals to visit one of my sons and his family who was staying there.  I asked if he had caught any trout.  He said  "dad have you looked at the water lately"?  As I was about to answer a guide in a row boat with two clients came into view drifting maybe 35 feet from the bank.  I said notice how close to the bank that boat is and the guide is having his clients casting toward the shore.  Across the river was another guide in a river boat going upriver and staying close to that shore.

Why wasn't anyone fishing in the middle of the river?  Could it be that our little finny friends don't like battling strong currents.  What about the small little critters they eat, where do you think they might be.  If you were small and at the mercy of something big and strong, where would you go hide?  I think I would be hugging the bank, kicking back and watching the river roll on.

My son and I rigged up our fly rods.  Midges, worms and eggs seemed like a good starting place.  A couple of hours of walking the bank from the parking lot to the shoals, paying attention to root wads, logs jammed, cuts in the bank and creeks, we had a delightful two hours.  We both looked at each other with big smiles and told the girls when we got back of the fun time we had catching more trout than we anticipated. 

Did any have any size to them -- they did.

Two of my favorite midges, the hare and copper and the pheasant  tail I tied up on European jig hooks.  They have sharper and longer barbs I think, but what I really like is they fish with the point up and do not get hung up on the bottom in the brush as much.  Also that worked well on the egg pattern.

So I have to ask you HAVE YOU HUGGED A BANK TODAY?

LIFE IS GOOD IN THE OZARKS.              
TAKE A LITTLE ONE FISHING -- YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. 

Henry Seay is Assistant Fly Shop Manager at Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mountain Home, Arkansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment