For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Saturday, July 2, 2016

TOP SIX FLIES BY JOHN BERRY



When I came into the shop (Blue Ribbon Fly Shop) today, my assistant manager, Henry Seay, had left me a note. It said that he thought that it was time for me to revisit my top six flies again. This is an article that I have written several times, over the years. The only thing that changes is the flies. New flies come and old standards are revisited. The following are the top six flies that I currently fish with, on a regular basis. Though I carry hundreds of patterns these six flies account for about ninety percent of the fish that I or my clients land.

The only fly that has made every list of my top six flies is the woolly bugger. I remember the first time I fished it over thirty five years ago. I was fishing the Little Red River with my brother, Dan. He gave me a couple of them and told me to give them a try. I asked how to fish them. He said that it didn’t matter as long as it was in the water. That turned out to be true and I have been fishing them since. I have caught more different species with a woolly bugger than any other fly. Don’t leave home without it.

On my last list, I had included the copper John. I have changed over to the pheasant tail nymph. This fly has been around since 1930. There is a reason for any fly to be around that long. The pheasant tail is easy to tie and catches fish. I have found it to be a great nymph imitation for our sulphur mayflies that are coming off now. I always tie them in a copper bead head version. It sinks like a rock and the copper bead will show off well in stained water.

The ruby midge is new to my list and it has worked its way in by being my best producer for the last two years. It has replaced the zebra midge as my go to midge pupa pattern. Since the White and Norfork Rivers are major midge waters; it is my most important fly. Most of the guides I know fish them, on a daily basis. It is the best selling fly at Blue Ribbon Fly shop.

The San Juan worm is the fly that I fish the most. I fish it every day. I generally fish two fly rigs and the San Juan Worm is my top fly. I think that it acts as an attractor and gets the trout’s attention. Though I usually catch more fish on the bottom fly, I catch quite a few on the worm. After a rain, it is my go to fly because worms are washed, into the river during a rain. It is also the easiest fly that there is to tie.

The newest member of this year’s list is the hare and copper. It is a pattern that has been around for a while. It is a simple fly with a body of hare’s mask a copper bead and copper rib tied on a scud hook. It is impressionistic and kind of looks like a scud, caddis or sowbug but not exactly. It has been producing well for me and I had a young man take two spectacular cutthroats yesterday on Dry Run Creek using it.

My final selection, for the list, is the green butt. I didn’t choose it just because it is my signature pattern. I chose it because it works. This is the fly I tie at Sowbug and the FFF Fly Fishing Fair every year. It is an easy tie and looks elegant. It is a soft hackle and it is the first thing that I tie on, whenever I see some top water action. I developed it about fifteen years ago and have fished it ever since. It has become a popular local pattern that sells well in the shop.

Armed with these six flies I can catch fish just about anywhere. Give them a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment