For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Friday, September 16, 2016

EVERY DOG HAS ITS DAY BY JOHN BERRY

There is an old saying that I have heard all of my life, every dog has its day. What does it mean? Simply put, no matter what your luck, skill level, intelligence, religion or country of national origin, you will eventually have one of those days where everything breaks your way. If you are fortunate enough to be fishing when this happens, you will have a stellar day where you catch an inordinate amount of fish and leave your fishing buddy in the dust. I had such a day last Sunday.

I had just gotten by boat back from the shot a couple of days before, to have Rob Williams at Supreme put a battery charger in my boat and roller bunks installed on my trailer. A few weeks ago, I had a trolling motor and a couple of batteries installed in the front of my boat. I had the battery charger installed to make recharging my batteries easier. I also noted that the weight of the trolling motor and the batteries had made the front of my boat heavier and more difficult to launch. The roller bunks made it much easier to launch. The object of the fishing trip was to familiarize myself, with how to launch the boat, with the roller bunks. My wife, Lori, who is also my favorite fishing buddy, accompanied me.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day. The starting temperature was in the high sixties, there was not a cloud in the sky and there was light generation (around 2500 cubic feet per second or the rough equivalent of 2/3 of a full generator). I strung up my Sage ZXL nine foot five weight with a size fourteen hare and copper fly with a ruby midge below it under an indicator. I also pinched on an AB split shot above the tippet knot and set the indicator six feet above the bottom fly. Lori was fishing one of my client rods (a TFO nine foot five weight) that was rigged the same except that her top fly was a bead head pheasant tail nymph.

I launched the boat using the roller bunks without a hitch. I found it to be much easier than I had ever experienced. We began our first drift and I was on fire. I caught nine trout on the first drift.  Over half were on the hare and copper fly. I had three others on but lost them. I have never caught that many trout on a single drift. I have not seen that many trout landed on a single drift, even with multiple anglers. I have had many days, where I did not catch that many fish all day long. It is almost two limits of trout.

Meanwhile, in the front of the boat, Lori was struggling. She had around three hookups but did not land a single trout. To make matters worse, she cast a tailing loop and tangled her line in the process. She spent several minutes untangling her line and changing out the bead head pheasant tail nymph for a hare and copper. She was snake bit! This is a woman that often out fishes me.

The next drift was a bit better for her. She managed to catch three to my four. I caught three or four trout on every drift. I did not count but I was hot all day. I have no idea just how many I caught but it was a lot. I was in constant action during the entire trip. It was one of the best days I have ever had fly fishing. 

When I analyzed the day there was nothing different from any other. I was using my usual rod and the flies I had used on the Norfork a few days earlier. Both of us had eaten the same breakfast and we were wearing our usual fishing clothes. Yet, I had a stellar day and Lori struggled.

Every dog has its day and mine was last Sunday. Maybe yours is coming up. I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment