For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

FISHING SHOES BY JOHN BERRY


I thought that I would share my opinions on footwear, for fishing from a boat. To find the optimal fishing shoes, you should consider a few things. First is that a boat is often a wet environment and you need either a shoe that will dry quickly or is waterproof. Next it should provide sure footing in this perpetually wet world. Finally they should be comfortable and fit your feet properly. 


I know of several guides and anglers that wear their waders, when fishing from a boat. I can make a lot of sense to do that especially when it is raining, when they can function as an effective pair, of rain pants. However, on a hot, sunny day they would be way too warm for comfort. When using waders in a boat, make sure that your wading boots are not studded as they tend to slip and do not provide sure footing. It would be like wearing roller skates. Most guides will not let you enter their boat, in studded boots, to prevent damage to the floor, of their boat. 
I have noted that several of my fellow guides favor flip-flops when they are in the boat. They are certainly dry quickly and are comfortable, in a lot of situations, but I do not feel that they offer a lot, of protection, in certain instances. On Monday, when I was working a corporate group for River Ridge Inn I noted that one, of the guides, was wearing flip-flops, when the temperature was in the low thirties and there was frost, on the ground, early that morning. That is just too cold for me! 
On another occasion, I saw another guide working on Dry Run Creek in a pair of flip-flops. First of all I don’t think that they offer very much protection from the abundant poison ivy. Second, I don’t think that they would provide secure footing, if you had to get into the creek, to net a big trout. I always wear waders when guiding there. I know that this is not fishing from a boat but the conditions here are similar because you are frequently fishing from the bank. 
Other guides fish in Crocs which offer a bit more protection. I tried wearing Simms wading shoes, which worked well in the boat. They are full shoes that offer a lot of protection, for my feet, and are quick drying. I found out that they marked the linoleum floor, in our kitchen, which did not please my wife, Lori. I switched to Simms boat shoes. They are similar to the wading shoes except that they are non-marking. 
When it is raining, I wear low cut L. L. Bean hunting shoes. They are waterproof and sure footed in the boat. For the last couple of years they have been difficult to get because they were the hot thing to wear on college campuses everywhere. Bean could not keep up with demand for a while. They are available now. When the weather turns cold, I have another pair of them in the eight inch tall model that are lined with Gore-Tex to make them waterproof and insulated with Thinsulate to keep my feet warm. Lori has the same pairs. 
In cold or wet weather, other guides will wear traditional British wellies, which are waterproof and high, on the leg. There are several that wear Muck boots, which are similar but heavier duty and insulated, which make the great, for really cold weather. 
When you prepare to go fishing, take a minute to consider what footwear to put on. It will help you be more comfortable and safe out there, if you make the best decision for the conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment