For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Thursday, December 8, 2016

TWO DAYS ON THE RIVER BY JOHN BERRY


I spent the last couple of days, on the river guiding group a corporate, for River Ridge Inn. As luck would have it, the weather has taken a change, for the worse. As I watched the weather channel, I noted that it was going to be pretty cold, on the days I was going, to be guiding. The thought kept running through my mind, how am I going to stay warm under these conditions. To complicate matters, one day I was to fish from a boat on the White River and the next was to be spent wading on the Norfork. Each situation calls for completely different clothing.

You would think that it would be colder wading, in a trout stream, than fishing from a boat. That is not the case. I have found it to be much colder, to fish from a boat. In a boat, there is no place, to hide, from the wind and the wind chill is what gets you. Even if the wind is not blowing, a long run up or down stream can be quite chilly at fifteen miles an hour.



When you see a boat making a long run on a cod day, the clients are facing the back of the boat, with their hoods up to keep their face warm and their hands are stuffed in their jacket pocket to keep them toasty. The guide is facing forward with his non steering hand in his pocket hoping that his face and tiller hand don’t freeze off, before the day is over.



On the other hand, when you are wading, you have to remember that the water is a constant fifty five degrees and is probably at least twenty degrees warmer than the air. There have been several occasions, in my twenty plus years of guiding, where I waded deeper to get warmer. The fact that you are moving around more helps to generate a bit more heat. If things get too bad, you can get on the bank and start a fire. Of course, you could also do that, if you were fishing from a boat.



On the first day, when fishing from the boat, I wore polypropylene long under wear, a tightly woven wool sweater, a pair of light fishing pants, a heavy pair of fleece lined pants, insulated boots, heavy socks, fingerless gloves, an insulated cap with pull down ear flaps and a heavy duty down jacket (a Patagonia no less). When we got there, the wind came up, with a vengeance. My body core was getting cold. The wind was blowing right through my jacket. I stopped and put my rain jacket on over the down jacket. That did the trick and I was comfortable for the remainder of the day.



The next day I waded with my clients. It was a bit warmer but still very windy. I wore the polypropylene long underwear, heavy wool socks, pile pants; a pile lined fishing shirt, and a short pile jacket with a nylon shell under my waders. I also had a pair of fingerless gloves and a baseball cap. I was quite comfortable, when we were fishing below Norfork Dam.



Around ten o’clock, we drove to the Ackerman access, to try our luck there. As we got there, the sun came out and it was deliciously warm. I got so carried away that I put on my polarized sun glasses and traded my baseball cap for my straw cowboy hat. We walked far upstream into the Catch and Release section. As soon as we got there, the sun disappeared behind the clouds and the wind picked up. It blew my straw hat off my head and into the river. I retrieved it and put it back on my head. The chill set a shiver down my spine but it dried quickly in the wind and was soon comfortable again but was never as warm as my baseball cap. I managed to finish the day.



It is getting cold out there. Don’t let the weather keep you for fishing. Take care in choosing your clothing and enjoy a day on the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment