For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Saturday, January 7, 2017

THE WOOLLY BUGGER BY JOHN BERRY


Is the humble woolly bugger the best fly ever? For a fly that gets little respect, it certainly catches a lot of fish. It is easy to tie. I generally make it the first fly learned, when I teach a fly tying class. It is easy to fish. You don’t have to watch the fly or an indicator to know when you get a take. There is that beautiful resounding bump, when a fish hits it. It is not a one trick pony. I have caught more species of fish, on it, than any other fly that I have ever fished. This includes four species of trout, red fish, speckled sea trout, shark, flounder, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, bream and crappie, to name a few. It is one, of our best selling flies, here at Blue Ribbon Fly Shop.



I was first introduced, to the woolly bugger, over thirty five years ago, when fishing with my brother, Dan, on the Little Red River, while camping at John F. Kennedy Park. He gave me a few and told me that it was a new fly that he had been introduced to, by a friend. I asked how to fish it and he said “just put it in the water and it will work”. I caught a quick dozen rainbows on it and was enamored with the woolly bugger immediately. Over time, I refined my technique, to fishing it on a downstream swing with a varied retrieve.



For the next ten years, I hardly fished any other fly. In 1991, I was the president of the Mid South Fly Fishers, the Federation of Fly Fishers club in Memphis, Tennessee. We had Lefty Kreh in as a guest speaker. As a joke, they had Lefty present me a plaque as the “bugger of the year”. I still have a photo of Lefty presenting me the award and cherish it.



After a while, I was lured more to fishing with dry flies, nymphs and emergers. I would fish woolly buggers on occasion but I generally fished other flies. This has caught up with me, on a few occasions.



On one occasion, I was preparing to fish the North Fork of the White River, for the first time. I talked to Brian Wise and most of the other guides that fish it regularly, to ask them what flies, to use. The answer came back the same, stonefly nymphs and prince nymphs. I searched through all of my fly boxes until I found the flies that I had bought, for a trip, to Montana, a few years before. Then when I was on stream I was severely out fished, by my wife, Lori, who was using an olive woolly bugger.



Then just a couple of months ago, I was fishing with Lori’s sister, Terri, and her husband, Larry, at Roundhouse Shoals here in Cotter. It is a spot only four blocks from my house and I fish it often. I was fishing my favorite double fly rig, a cerise San Juan worm with a ruby midge dropper. This has been my most productive rig for months and I was quite comfortable fishing it. My only problem was that it just wasn’t working. No fly works every time. At the same time, Terri and Larry were having a remarkable day fishing woolly buggers. I was humbled and I switched over to an olive woolly bugger and immediately began to catch trout. The woolly bugger saved the day!



No matter what your level of angling experience, do not forget the woolly bugger. Don’t leave home without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment