For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Friday, April 14, 2017

NO HATCH, NO PROBLEM BY JOHN BERRY


This year we have had conditions that have been favorable to fish dry flies, particularly the spring caddis hatch, which is our best longest lasting hatch of the year. The trick, as always, is to be on stream, when the insects are coming off. My favorite way to fly fish for trout is to fish dry flies. Therefore, I went to the Norfork the other day in search of the caddis hatch. 

My wife, Lori, accompanied me as did her sister, Terri, and her husband, Larry. Terri and Larry are avid fly fishers and frequent guests at our home, in Cotter. We began our Sundayfishing trip with a hearty breakfast at the White Sands Restaurant. As my late brother, Dan, used to say, “You need a couple of sausage gravy biscuits to keep your feet in the gravel”. 

Conditions were near perfect. It was sunny with a bit of wind and a high temperature in the low seventies. The water was at minimum flow and the prediction was for no generation for the entire day. To our surprise, the Ackerman Access was not very crowded. We had expected a much larger crowd on a day this near perfect. 

We waded up stream into the Catch and Release section. There were no caddis coming off. I was determined to fish dry flies. I had my favorite fly rod, a thirty year old Sage light Line nine foot four weight that had originally belonged to Dan. I had rigged it with a seven and a half foot leader and a five foot 5X tippet with a size sixteen olive elk hair caddis with an application of fly floatant. 

Though there was no active hatch, I figured that the trout would be looking up. Therefore I began casting not at rising trout but at spots, where I expected them to be. After three casts, I was rewarded, with a nice fat seventeen inch rainbow. A few more casts and I landed an even fatter nineteen inch rainbow. I was on a roll. Lori noticed my success and joined in on fishing dries. She didn’t have the same fly as I was fishing, so I gave her one. She had quick success. 

About that time Terri and Larry arrived. They had been fishing downstream with limited success. I showed them, how I was fishing, and they quickly rigged their rods accordingly. I gave them my spot and I went looking for new water to fish. Larry was into a good trout as I walked out. 

I found a likely spot and began fishing in earnest. I hooked a nice fourteen inch rainbow and as I was bringing it in a Great Blue Heron decided that it looked like lunch. I gave him a shout and he gave up the chase. I caught several more trout there. Meanwhile Lori was having success nearby. 

About this time, Larry hit a big fish. It was a huge Rainbow that was fat and in excess of twenty four inches long. The fight went on for quite a while. A drift boat that was floating through dropped anchor upstream so that it would not interfere with his fight. As luck would have it, the fish slipped the hook at Larry’s feet. He was stoked over the trout but disappointed for not landing it. I have been there before! 

Success had eluded Terri. But her time had come. She rerigged to my green butt soft hackle and was immediately into trout. Lori and I had caught enough and we were ready to go home. Terri and Larry stayed on-stream for a while, so that Terri could catch up, with our success. The trout cooperated. 

You don’t always have to have an active hatch to fish dry flies. Sometimes the trout are looking up and will fall for a well presented fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment