For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Sunday, May 7, 2017

RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY BY JOHN BERRY


For the past few months, we have been enjoying one of the longest periods of low, reliable, wadable water that I can remember. It was so low this past February that it all but eliminated our traditional streamer season. You need high water to push the big browns to the bank in order to target them with the big streamers and we had low flows all winter. The low water has been a boon to the caddis hatch. The low flows have been a perfect delivery system for dry flies this spring. The wadable water has rapidly come to an end.



We had a heavy rain that flooded Crooked Creek and the Buffalo. In addition the lake levels on Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes all rose significantly. Then a couple of days later we had what has been described by the Weather Channel as a hundred year rain. It rained for two days. This time the ground was super saturated and we had significantly more runoff. All of the lakes in the White River system rose even more. Beaver, Table Rock and Norfork are at or near the top of flood pool and all opened their flood gates in an effort to draw them down quickly. Bull shoals rose thirty four feet in a week. As I write this, it is raining again and over two inches are expected.



What does this mean for fishing? With all of the lakes at or near the top of flood pool, we will have high water, for the rest, of spring and well into the summer. I do not expect wadable water until fall. The fish are still there but you will need a boat to fish the White and Norfork.



The best way to fish during the high water will be to fish nymphs under an indicator. You will need to fish deep. I generally set my nymph rigs at about four feet from the indicator to the bottom fly. I then add a foot of depth for each full generator (roughly three thousand cubic feet per second). This is a rough estimate and I will make adjustments for depth and current at specific spots on the river. If I am hanging the bottom, I reduce the depth and, if I am not getting fish, I increase it.



Weight is also a key factor. I generally use heavy split shot. My favorite for this type of fishing is AAA (.8 grams). I use a lead free egg shaped split shot as it hangs on better. I attach it above my tippet knot to keep it from slipping. I also prefer to use heavily weighted flies particularly bead heads tied on jig hooks. My top flies, for this type of fishing, includes pheasant tails, hare and copper, copper Johns, prince nymphs and ruby midges. I favor double fly rigs and fluorocarbon leaders and tippets as they sink more quickly than monofilament.



Casting these rigs is difficult at best. Open up your loop and be sure and not rush your cast. Do not false cast, as this is an invitation to tangle.



Now is also a good time to fish streamers. Heavy sink tips fly lines, big streamers and larger fly rods are the norm here. Here again the casting is tough and a lot of work. This technique does not produce numbers but can attract a trophy.



Fishing high water can be very productive. Give it a try!


No comments:

Post a Comment