For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

FISHING THE HEAT BY JOHN BERRY


The weather has been really hot lately. I checked the temperature, when I was on the river the other day, and it was ninety nine degrees. The fish are still there. Our major trout streams are tailwaters and the water temperature is constantly cool year-round. The trick to fishing now is, to beat the heat.



The best way, to beat the heat, is, to avoid it. Fish in the morning before it heats up. Yesterday I fished with my wife, Lori. We were, on the water at 8:30AM. It was seventy six degrees, with a dense fog on the river. We were catching plenty, of trout, and were quite comfortable. About 10:00AM the fog burned off and it began, to warm up. By 11:00AM it was ninety two degrees and Lori was ready to bail. She went home, to check, on the dogs, but I stayed another hour, caught a few more trout and then decided it was too warm, for me.



Another way, to beat the heat, is to wade. In our perpetually cool trout streams, all you have to do is wade a little deeper when you get warm. If it gets over ninety degrees, I will opt to wet wade. That is, to wade without waders. It can be quite refreshing on a brutally hot day. I always wear long quick drying pants (I have a very fair complexion and do not want to burn) my wading boots to provide sure footing and neoprene booties to keep my feet warm. While this is a great way to stay cool, it won’t do us much good this year. We have had precious little wadable water and the high lake levels do not bode well, for wading the rest, of the year. You can wade fish the Spring River and North Fork of the White.



This means we are going to be fishing, from the boat, and, in the boat, there is nowhere to hide. You are sitting out, in the sun. You can increase your comfort by dressing properly. I prefer loose fitting light colored clothing. I always wear a long sleeved tropical fishing shirt and long pants with a variety of pockets. I want sun protection. I wear wading shoes with low cut socks I used to wear sandals but ended up with some strange patterns on my feet. I also wear a straw cowboy hat. They are not durable. When they start looking ratty I buy a new one and use the old one to cut the grass. Polarized sunglasses are a must. If you have exposed skin, use sunscreen. I recently fished with a friend. He showed up on a brutally hot day dressed in heavy blue jeans and a black polo shirt. He did not finish the day.



To finish the day, you need to stay hydrated. The best thing to drink is water. I always carry several bottles of water in my Yeti and I also have several bottles of water in my boat lockers as backups. I take a lunch break at noon and always seek a shady spot. I serve a lighter but filling lunch of sandwiches, chips, cookies and fresh fruit. Hot weather is not the time for a heavy lunch.



There is fishing in hot weather. Take a few precautions and enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment