For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

TIME FOR OUR FLY FISHING CLASS BY JOHN BERRY

When I checked the water releases this morning, I noted that the Bull Shoals Lake was five and a half feet from power pool and the lake was dropping four feet a week. Even when you consider that Beaver Lake is three and a half feet from power pool (it drops fast and has to pass through Table Rock and Bull Shoals Lakes) and Norfork Lake has three and a half feet to go and is dropping two feet per week, we are close to wadable water.
It looks like we will be facing low lake levels and greatly reduced generation, in about two weeks. Could wadable water be far behind? Of course, all of this depends on no major rain events and the same high levels of generation that we are now experiencing. It has been a long time, since we have had wadable water and I am eagerly looking forward, to it. There are many anglers like myself who prefer to wade and there are many who do not have a boat or access to one and therefore their only fishing opportunities are through wade fishing. One thing is for certain; lower water is easier to fish and generates more interest, in fishing, in general. 
For those of you that have never fly fished or have not had much success, now is the time, to consider a fly fishing class. It will be much easier, to apply what you have learned, to fishing lower water. As many of you know, my wife, Lori, and I have been teaching a fly fishing class, for the last eight years, at Arkansas State University Mountain Home (ASU). During that time we have literally taught hundreds of people to fly fish. 
Lori and I are both fly fishing guides, with four decades, of combined experience. I have been teaching fly fishing for almost thirty years and Lori began teaching with me, when we got married fifteen years ago. She concentrates on teaching fly casting. I must say that she is a natural. She spent several sessions with Lefty Kreh when she was getting started and it has really paid off. I can honestly say that she is a better fly caster than I am. I do assist her in the casting portion of the classes. I concentrate on the classroom portion of the classes. Things like tying knots, rigging, equipment, water safety, fly selection and reading water are based on my years of fishing and guiding. Lori assists, in this. 
This fall’s class is scheduled for October 12, 19, 26 and November 2 from 6:00 PM till 8:00 PM at the ASU Mountain Home campus. There is a nominal fee. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, then register online athttps://asumh.edu/services/community-education.html. If you are computer challenged, like me or do not have a computer then contact Sarah Sikes to register over the phone at (870) 508-6105. 
Lori and I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment