For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Sunday, October 1, 2017

FLY FISHING FAIR NEXT WEEK BY JOHN BERRY


My wife, Lori, and I were fishing, on the White River yesterday. The river was much lower than it has been lately. It is a result of the drop, in lake levels, on the White River system. Bull Shoals, Norfork, and Table Rock are all below power pool and Beaver is nine inches above and dropping six inches a day. We did well and caught a lot, of trout. Lori remarked that it was good that the water was finally down and fishable at the perfect time, with the Southern Council Fly Fishing Fair scheduled for next week.



The Fly Fishing Fair is the Southern Council of the Federation of Fly Fisher’s big show, of the year. This is when all, of the various fly fishing clubs that make up the Southern Council, descend, on the Twin Lakes Area, to celebrate the sport. They meet here for one reason, the quality of the fishing. This has been a high water year with little chance, of wadable water, and now as the Fly Fishing Fair starts we have the chance, for some wadable water. I have attended every fly Fishing Fair (they used to be called Conclave) since 1985 and I am excited about this one.



The Southern Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Fishing Fair will be held at the Veda Sheid Community Development Center, on the campus of Arkansas State University Mountain Home, on October, 6 and 7. The doors open at 8:00 AM and the show lasts until 4:00 PM. The cost is only $10.00, for both days. A family gets in, for $20.00. A parent with a child under 12 years of age gets in free. This is our second year at the Sheid and we have added a shuttle to help you get from the parking to the show.



The big draw for me has always been the fly tyers. There are tyers there that you read about in all the fly tying magazines. I am talking about real artists with hook, fur and feathers. I like to sit and watch the various tyers. I learn something from each one. It may be a new fly, technique or material. I will be tying this year. Stop by and let me tie one for you.



Another draw, for me, is the seminars. I am the program chair this year and I really worked at scheduling some of our best presenters. I have Duane Hada, Chad Johnson, Davy Wotton, Steve Dally, Mark Crawford and a host of others. I even found a spot for my wife, Lori, to put on a couple of seminars. I also do one each day.



We have a great line up of vendors also. The local fly shops are well represented. My favorite vendor is the Golden Rule Fly Shop. They always have hooks that I cannot get anywhere. I am a vendor again this year and I will be tying flies there. Please stop by.



This is a good show and a great time to run into your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment