For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Friday, December 19, 2014

LAST MINUTE CHRISTMAS GIFT SUGGESTIONS BY JOHN BERRY



I don’t know if you have looked at the calendar lately but Christmas is less than a week away. If you have not bought anything for the fly fisher in your family, it is time to get started. There are a bunch of anglers in my family and I have been doing quite a bit of shopping. Based on all of the shopping that I have been doing, here are a few suggestions. 
The first thing that comes to mind is a Yeti cooler. These coolers have taken the sporting world by storm. They are highly prized by guides and serious anglers everywhere for their ability to hold ice for two days and legendary indestructibility. They are certified bear proof containers, if you are headed to Yellowstone or Alaska. On the down side, they are pretty heavy and are expensive. I use the Roadie model, which at a twenty quart capacity, is the smallest one made and weighs fourteen pounds empty. It cost $249.95. I have been using mine for a couple of years and I would not use anything else. 
If anyone you buy gifts for needs a new pair of wading boots, I would suggest a pair of Orvis Pivot wading boots. I should point out that they only come with felt soles. The state of Missouri has outlawed felt soles (because of Didymo), if you want to wear your wading boots there, you should by something else. These boots feature a BOA lacing system which replaces conventional shoe laces with a steel cable and a ratcheting system. They are very and quick to put on and take off and easy to adjust during the day. My wife, Lori, and I both wear these boots and have found them to be the most comfortable that we have ever worn. At $179.95 a pair, they should be. We each also have a pair of rubber soled studded boots that we wear when fishing in Missouri. These items are both expensive but represent the best that is available to the discriminating angler. 
For something a bit more affordable, let me suggest a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) fly rod. They are a low cost alternative to the $700.00 and $800.00 rods that have become the norm in fly fishing. Like the high dollar rods, they include a lifetime warranty. My favorite model is the Lefty Kreh Signature Series II. At $120.00, it is the most rod for the least money that I know of. I own no less than four two piece five weight nine foot rods of this model. These are the rods that I loan my clients and they suffer a lot of abuse. I generally have a couple broken every year and I send them back to TFO with a check for $25.00 and get them back ready to fish in a few days. If my wife, Lori, and I are fishing from a boat, canoe or kayak, this is the rod we choose for their convenience (they are always in my Suburban), casting ease and reliability. 
If you want something even less expensive and much more personal, how about giving a box of flies that you tied yourself? The first year that Lori and I were together I gave her a small Wheatley fly box crammed with over a hundred flies that I had tied myself. I give my brother in law a small fly box with some hand tied local patterns every year. My brother, Dan, gives me a box of his turkey tail emergers every year and I cherish them. The hard part is keeping Lori out of them. 
I hope this helps. Merry Christmas from me, Lori and our yellow lab, Tilley! 
John Berry is a fly fishing guide for Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment