For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Friday, December 26, 2014

SUNDAY AFTERNOON ON THE NORFORK BY JOHN BERRY



My favorite fishing companion is my wife, Lori. We began our relationship a little over fourteen years ago, when we met at a fly fishing class that I was teaching on the Spring River. She was one of my students. Every since then we have been soul mates and spend as much time as we can on stream fly fishing. We have made it a tradition to try and fish together at least once a week. With the cold weather we have had lately, it has been difficult to catch a good day on stream. 
A week or so ago we caught that perfect day. It was on a Sunday with highs in the fifties with little or no wind and plenty of sunshine. We opted for the Norfork because of no generation and the promise of easy wading. We left Cotter after lunch and arrived at the Ackerman Access around 12:30 PM. There were a few cars in the parking lot but we could see anglers coming in. This is our favorite time to fish because all of the out of town anglers were loading up to go home and we thought that we could have the place to ourselves. We were right. By the time we had waded up into the Catch and Release section, we were the only anglers there.  
I had my old Sage Light Line nine foot four weight, an old favorite rod. I rigged up a double fly rig with a ruby midge under an egg pattern. I waded into a favorite run and landed two nice rainbows on the first two casts. For me this is usually the kiss of death. I always question early success. I was right. The bite slowed as quickly as it began. I stayed in the run for a while and managed to land a fat eighteen inch rainbow but that was about it. 
Meanwhile, Lori was fishing her Winston Joan Wulff favorite, her favorite fly rod. She fished a nearby riffle with an olive woolly bugger and managed to land three or four nice trout. I decided to try another spot far up stream. I fished the run for about an hour and landed four more trout including a fifteen inch cutthroat. It was gorgeous and was my fish of the day. I walked back downstream to see how Lori was doing. 
She had tried nymphing with no success and was ready to try something different. I sat on the bank and talked to her as she deftly rerigged her rod. Lori had seen some trout rising and figured that they were keying in on emergers. She tied on a size 18 Dan’s turkey tail emerger began working a nice run and quickly picked up a couple of trout. 
About that time Ken Sickles and Vern Berry floated through on their kayaks. They had fished upstream and had a pretty good day. Vern mentioned that he had caught several trout on a partridge and orange. I decided to give it a try and quickly rerigged my rod. I worked a nearby run and landed several. Lori did well until her fly became a bit ragged. She changed over to the same fly in a size 22. It also worked but not as well as the larger fly. 
I looked up and realized that we were quickly running out of day light. Where had the afternoon gone? Time passes quickly when you are having a good time. I waded over to Lori and told her it was about time to go. She reluctantly agreed and cranked in her line. We walked out hand in hand as the sun set. It had been a great day on the river. There were not a lot of trout caught but I had enjoyed the day fishing with Lori! 
John Berry is a fly fishing guide in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years. John is a partner in Blue Ribbon Guides with his wife, Lori Sloas and Dennis Schule. 

No comments:

Post a Comment