For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

LATEST TRENDS IN FLY FISHING EQUIPMENT

One of the things that I really get to observe, while managing Blue Ribbon Fly Shop, is the latest trends in fly fishing equipment. While most fly fishers like to think of their sport as a very traditional endeavor, the reality is that it is constantly changing as technological innovation finds its way into fly fishing.

The most apparent change that I have observed is the fly rod itself. My first fly rod was a Fenwick eight foot six weight fiberglass rod that cost a little over one hundred dollars. My brother, Dan, bought a five weight eight foot Sage graphite rod for three hundred dollars. Graphite changed my world. Over the years I have bought dozens of them and over time they have gotten lighter, stiffer and more expensive. My latest rod, a nine foot six weight Orvis Helios II, weighs about half what my original fiberglass rod weighed and is a foot longer. It casts like a dream and cost almost eight hundred dollars but that includes a lifetime warranty.

At the same time, fly reels have gotten bigger and heavier. My first quality fly reel was an Orvis CFO. It had a click and pawl drag system (nineteenth century technology), weighed about three ounces and cost about one hundred and fifty dollars. I am still fishing with it over thirty years later. While the CFO is still being manufactured most of the comparable reels are an ounce or two heavier and cost several hundred dollars. The weight is due to the increase in the diameter as large arbor reels will bring the line in faster than small arbor reels. The rest of the weight is due to the more efficient disc drag systems used in most fly reels now. By the way, the Orvis CFO now costs three hundred thirty five dollars.

For years, fly fishers carried laminated wood nets with hand tied cotton bags. They were and are things of beauty and are usually made from quality hardwood like maple, elm or walnut. I had a fine one to carry with me when I waded and another larger one to use in the boat. Over time the wood would delaminate and the cotton bags would rot. I now use nets that have carbon fiber frames, which do not delaminate and float. The new clear rubber bags will not rot and they don’t catch your flies like the old cotton bags. This is particularly desirable when fishing double fly rigs.

Years ago, when I first started fly fishing, the most popular way to carry your gear was to wear a fly fishing vest. The fishing vest was invented by the immortal Lee Wulff and was the standard for decades. I still wear one. Then there were fanny packs and chest packs. I tried them but did not like them as much as my old reliable vest. The latest thing out is the sling pack, which is a shoulder bag. They are similar to the classic English shoulder bags that have been popular there for well over a hundred years. The only differences are the space age fabrics and more numerous pockets on the new bags.

The item that has changed the most is the waders. My first waders were rubberized cotton boot foot waders. They were clumsy and they beat my ankles to death. I remember moving up to neoprene stocking foot waders (the boots were separate) when they came out. They were much more comfortable to my feet and ankles but were incredibly hot during the summer. Now we have breathable stocking foot waders made with Gore-Tex. They are the best and most comfortable waders that I have ever worn and I suggest that anyone who has not tried them should go out and get a pair.

As you can see there has been a lot of technological change in fly fishing. I have embraced some of it and let some of it pass by. You be the judge on what items appeal to you.

John Berry is a fly fishing guide with Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment