For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

WALKING AND WADING BY HENRY SEAY



Some day I would like to do a walking and wading trip along what I would call the Ozark Trout Trail.  I would want to cast a fly line into all the Ozark trout streams as I believe a trip of this kind would be equal to any fantasy trip in North America.  In my mind I can see myself landing several grand slams (bows, browns, cuts and bookies) while enjoying the sights, sounds and beauty of the Ozarks.

We have miles and miles of outstanding trout streams here in the Ozarks.  So where would I start?  My journey would begin on the Beaver Tailwaters and then north to Taneycomo.  From there I'd go to a blue ribbon trout stream by the name of Crane Creek that flows through the town of Crane.  Crane Creek is a wild trout stream.  From there my adventure would take me to another blue ribbon wild trout stream, the North Fork of the White.  This free flowing stream will remind you of a western river as it flows through the Ozark hills to form Lake North Fork.

The Norfork Tailwaters would be the next stop.  This little 5 or 6 mile tailwater has produced more records, both state and world than any trout stream in the Ozarks, as far as I know.

After the Norfork Tailwaters, then it is on to the Bull Shoals Tailwaters of the White.  This world famous river is loaded with browns over 25 inches and bows over 18 and 20 inches.  This is the river that Arkansas Game & Fish says holds another world record.

At this point, I would take a break before continuing  on my Ozark trout fishing adventure.  Other streams still to be fished are names such as Little Red, Spring River, Eleven Point, Mill Creek, Little Piney, Current and several more, some of which are blue ribbon streams.

Because Ozark streams flow through two states you will need a license for each.  Arkansas requires a trout stamp, Missouri does not unless you intend to keep a trout.

The fly patterns will pretty much stay the same on your journey.  Pheasant tails,  hares ear, F flies, sowbugs and scuds, stoneflies, soft hackles, streamers such as Woolly Buggers and midges in the range of #16 - 24 should cover you.  

Be sure and check the regulations for each stream as they are not all the same.  Remember water levels are fluctuated greatly either from dams or from Mother Nature.  You are not going to hear the warning signal in most cases so be alert for rising water.

Fishing the Ozark trout streams could be your adventure of a lifetime.

LIFE IS GOOD IN THE OZARKS.   TAKE A CHILD FISHING -- IT WILL DO YOU GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment