For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

ANOTHER GREAT DAY ON DRY RUN CREEK BY JOHN BERRY



Last week was spring break and Dry Run Creek was rocking. There were loads of people from all over the United States that had traveled here to have their children fish there. At times, the parking lot would be full. One thing is evident; Dry Run Creek is the worst kept secret in the lower forty eight. In the midst of this madness, my wife, Lori, and I worked most of the week. I guided three days and she guided two. Luckily for me, we got to guide together on Thursday. In addition, my brother in law, Larry Allen, was in town hoping to fish and he ended up helping us with several kids during the time.


You would think that with that many people fishing on the creek that it would get too crowded and there would be nowhere to fish. What we found was that the people would cluster at certain spots and there was plenty of water to fish. Over the course of the week, we caught about as many fish as we usually do and several of them were true trophies. On Tuesday, I had a spectacular day and caught plenty of fish. One of the fish was a bit different from the rest.

My client (a fourteen year old first timer) had been fishing a deep hole and had pretty much caught anything that was in there. We decided to walk the creek and look for a bigger trout. We caught a few fish and then saw a really large rainbow sipping insects out of the film. It was rhythmically rising in some slack water near a riffle. The water was quite shallow and we could easily see the fish.


I couldn’t see any insects but figured that it was keying in on midge emergers. I figured that if the trout was feeding on the top maybe I could interest it in something big. Think double bacon cheese burger. I decided to try a hopper. I know that it is not hopper season but I figured that the rainbow didn’t know that. My favorite hopper pattern is the western pink lady. I mashed down the barb and tied one on. I had my young client cast a couple of feet upstream of the trout. It was a perfect cast and a perfect drift. The trout followed it for a few inches and then returned to its lie, our first refusal. We gave it a couple more casts but the big rainbow was not interested.


My client’s father was standing next to me. He said”what are you going to do now?” I said ‘I’ll keep trying flies until we catch him or move him.” I thought about my next choice for a minute and then decided on a size eight Dave’s hopper. It is one of Dave Whitlock’s most effective flies and a dead on imitation of a grasshopper. I pinched down the barb, tied it on and applied a liberal portion of fly floatant.

My client deftly cast the fly upstream of the fish and let it move downstream in a perfect drag free drift. As it passed over the big rainbow, the fish rose in the water column and inhaled the fly. My client was mesmerized by the take and stood there looking at the trout as it went down toward the bottom. I yelled out “set the hook!” He quickly lifted the rod. The trout felt the sting of the hook and took off downstream. With a big size eight streamer hook, 4X fluorocarbon (seven pound test) and a properly set disc drag on a fly reel, it could not go far. I netted the trout, a brightly colored fat twenty five inch male rainbow. We swapped high fives and then took the photographs. It was the highlight of a spectacular week.

We found than an occasional double bacon cheeseburger is good for fly fishing.

John Berry is a fly fishing guide for Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment