For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

MOTHER’S DAY AT RIM SHOALS BY JOHN BERRY



It was Mother’s Day and my wife, Lori, wanted to go fishing. That was okay with me!  After what seems like eternity, we finally had some low water on the White. At various locations on the White, there have been several reliable reports of spectacular caddis hatches. The concept of catching a Mother’s Day caddis hatch was too much to ignore. Several years ago I caught a spectacular caddis hatch, on Mother’s Day, on the Little Red River and I still relish the thought of it.  In addition, I had Sunday off. Life is good!

We ate a hearty breakfast, walked Tilley, our beloved English Labrador Retriever and headed for the river. We decided on Rim Shoals one of our favorite spots to fish. It is a Catch and Release section that holds some great trout. We arrived about 10:00 AM. It was sunny, about seventy two degrees with a light westerly wind. The river was on the bottom and was pretty clear with a bit of vegetation suspended in it. It was spectacular conditions for a day on the river.

We had brought my river boat with us so that we could easily access some of the more productive water. We donned our waders and made sure that we had our wading staffs with us. I had been fishing the White quite a bit lately and my client rods were already rigged. We opted to use them. They were rigged with a hare and copper nymph with a ruby midge dropper. There was also a split shot to get the flies down and a strike indicator. The only thing we had to do was to adjust the strike indicator down for the lower water level.

We decided to drift fish for a while to see if we could get anything going. We landed three fish on the first drift. One of them was a fat eighteen inch rainbow that fought like a demon. We kept drifting and caught trout after trout. I hooked a lunker but it wrapped a big rock and broke off. It took a few minutes to rerig and get back in the game.

It was Lori’s turn. She hooked a big one and needed some help. She usually lands her fish by herself but this one was too much and she wanted me to net him. I quit fishing and pulled my rod in. As I was doing this, I somehow caught my fly on Lori’s leader. I had achieved the notorious Arkansas double. We were both hooked up on the same fish. To make matters worse this trout would not give up. I managed to remove the hare and copper fly from the leader only to catch the dropper on it. Miraculously it slipped free, when I gave it a bit of slack. Now I was free to man the net and we finally landed the fat rainbow, at nineteen inches, it was the largest fish landed.

We got out and waded for a while but it was just not as productive as drifting. We returned to the boat and continued fishing till about 2:30 PM. We had six doubles and caught a bunch of trout (we didn’t count). It was our best fishing trip in a long time.

We didn’t catch the Mother’s Day hatch but we had a wonderful time fishing together nonetheless...

John Berry is a fly fishing guide with Blue Ribbon Guides in Cotter, Arkansas and has fished our local streams for over thirty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment