For more info, click the "Blue Ribbon Guides" LINK below or call 870-435-2169 or 870-481-5054.

Monday, May 9, 2016

TWO DAYS ON THE WHITE RIVER WITH GREAT CLIENTS BY DENNIS SCHULE



Monday and Tuesday of last week were great days for me.  I had a couple from Texas fishing with me and I have to say I had a blast.  I am fortunate enough to be a fly fishing guide and I have the opportunity to meet many really interesting and fun people.  Monday and Tuesday was no exception. 

Keith and Cherry from Texas booked a trip and arrived Sunday evening with their motorhome and parked down in the Bull Shoals White River State Park Campground.  I picked them up on Monday morning and headed to Rim Shoals.   After launching the boat, we worked our way up to the Jenkins Creek area and started the day.  After a short casting demonstration Keith and Cherry got their lines in the water and began catching fish.  Keith jumped into the lead but Cherry finally closed the gap. 

We took a short break for lunch and then headed back to the river.  Fishing was a little slower in the afternoon but we still managed to pick up fish.




During our boat conversation I learned that Keith was an oilman and owned his own oil exploration drilling company.  I have always wanted to know about the oil business and I had many questions that Keith was more than willing to answer for me.  The end result, there is one heck of a lot work that goes into getting that barrel of oil out of the ground. 

Cherry was a grade school reading teacher which had challenges of its own.  I don't know what was more challenging, teaching grade school kids or trying to locate oil.

On Tuesday morning I was already committed to a morning half day guide trip so I scheduled an afternoon half day guide trip with Keith and Cherry.  

The morning fishing at Rim Shoals had been insane.  Numerous fish on every drift topped off with a 18 1/2" cutthroat.  So we decided to head back to Rim Shoals in the afternoon.  

Unfortunately, conditions had changed drastically.  The water had come up and the river was loaded with moss.  We ran up river above Cotter trying to get above the moss but the entire river was a real mess.  Trying to fish in these conditions was very challenging.  Keith and Cherry gave it their best effort but things just didn't work out.  We ended the day around 6:30 and headed back to the campground.  

As we sat in their motorhome Keith was willing to answer more of my questions about oil exploration.  I could have sat there all night taking in his knowledge but we were all tired and hungry so we called it a night and parted ways.

It is always so enjoyable for me when I have great clients like this in the boat with me.  On top of spending two days on the river with Keith and Cherry I was able to receive a short course in oil exploration.  I have to say, though, that I think I will stay with the fishing guide business and stay clear of the oil business.

No comments:

Post a Comment